Before Your Visit
Your first step in the college process is to make a list of schools you want to apply to and a list of schools you want to visit. Keep in my mind that you’re not going to have an unlimited amount of time to visit these schools, so focus on the really important visits first and be sure to take travel into consideration.
During Your Visit
Be sure to dress appropriately (especially for the weather) and wear comfy shoes because you’ll be doing a lot of walking, especially if the campus is big! On your tour you’ll have the chance to ask all of your questions and meet some stuff of the university.
If you’re stuck on what questions to ask, here are some important ones:
1. Do they offer _____________ major?
2. What variety, club, and intramural sports do they offer?
3. What clubs are available on campus? What are the rules for starting your own?
4. Is there Greek life? (If you’re interested in it)
5. What are the on campus living options? Off campus?
6. How much is it to live off campus? (If you’re interested in living off campus in the future)
7. What are the rules for having cars on campus?
8. How does the campus card work? What food options are available on campus?
9. What extra help is available on campus? (Tutoring, library services, extra help for learning curves, etc.)
10. What is the surrounding area like?
After Your Visit
Phew! One visit down, a bajillion to go… You’re getting there though, you started the process and it’s going to be an exciting change. After your visit think about what you liked and disliked about the campus. Can you imagine yourself a student there for the next four years? These are all important questions to ask yourself before you continue with the process of college applications. This is also a great time to follow up with any contacts you made from your visit or any other university staff if you have any additional post-visit questions!